Thursday, March 18, 2010

What's In A Name?

When I was born I was given the name of “Amanda”. It is from the Latin root name Amanda. I know exciting, right? Amanda means Worthy of Love; does not look down on others; she is serious about her feelings; dauntless, courageous, and bold; if she is busy, she is happy; gives of herself willingly; has hasty speech, and a quick temper; has a good day when she learns something new; works diligently for the benefit of others.” I was thinking of all of the names I have had over the years. Some are badges of honor, others I worked very hard for. And others were bestowed upon me by dear friends.

When I was born I automatically got the following names: DAUGHTER--a female offspring; a girl or woman in relation to her parents GRANDDAUGHTER/GREAT-GRANDDAUGHTER--A daughter of one's son or daughter. NIECE--a daughter of a person's brother or sister

Then my Aunt and Uncles started having kids and I became a: COUSIN--the son or daughter of an uncle or aunt.

My parents decided it would be fun to give me a brother. My title of only child changed to: SISTER--a female offspring having both parents in common with another offspring

I went off to school/college and received many titles: STUDENT--any person who studies, investigates, or examines thoughtfully

FRIEND--a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard

ROOMMATE--a person who is assigned to share or shares a room or apartment with another or others

GIRLFRIEND--1. a frequent or favorite female companion; sweetheart. 2. being or considered a sister; related by or as if by sisterhood: sister ships

GRADUATE--a person who has received a degree or diploma on completing a course of study, as in a university, college, or school

REGISTERED NURSE--a graduate nurse who has passed a state board examination and been registered and licensed to practice nursing

ASSOCIATE--a person who shares actively in anything as a business, enterprise, or undertaking; partner; colleague; fellow worker

MAID OF HONOR--1. an unmarried woman who is the chief attendant of a bride. 2. an unmarried woman, usually of noble birth, attendant on a queen or princess. (Had to include the second definition…I like it much better!!)

BRIDES MAID--a young woman who attends the bride at a wedding ceremony

These next two titles I am most excited about for two very different reasons: CHRISTIAN, CHILD OF GOD, SISTER IN CHRIST--a person who exemplifies in his or her life the teachings of Christ

TANDEM SKYDIVER--a type of skydiving where a student skydiver is connected via a harness to a tandem instructor. The instructor guides the student through the whole jump from exit through freefall, piloting the canopy, and landing.

Tim got married to Jessica in August, and gave me two wonderful titles in the same day!!SISTER-IN-LAW--the sister of one's husband or wife

AUNT--the sister of one's father or mother

This will be my newest title, which I am both excited about and very honored to receive. GOD-MOTHER--a woman who serves as sponsor for a child at baptism

Becca and Jason welcomed their newest member, Geralyn to their family in January. They have asked me to be the God-Mother of little Miss Geralyn! I’m not Catholic, so I’m not exactly sure what all this role entails. But I do know this: I promise to tell her that Jesus loves her. I will also tell her all of the wonderful Bible stories I have learned. I will be a loving Christian example for little Miss Geralyn.

2 comments:

Laci said...

Congrats on being Geralyn's Godmother!

Becca said...

That's all you need to do, Man! Yes, the "ceremony" will have to take place. I think you get to make the sign of the cross on Geralyn's forehead and might have to hold a candle but I promise it's nothing to crazy! You don't really have to change or DO anything. You're already doing it or J and I wouldn't have asked - you're a wonderful, shining example of a christian woman. We love you and thank you again and again for saying yes!

About Me

I work in a small rural hospital as an Ambulatory Surgery RN. I absolutely love my job! I'm also very active in my church and attend a woman's small group bible study. I also love spending time with my family and friends.